Know the Warning Signs for Outdated Job Design
Design Jobs that People Love
Engaged, invested employees who love their jobs are key to sustained business growth and profitability. In turn, well-designed jobs are key to employee productivity and satisfaction. A task analysis for cross-functional teams can reveal insights to help design jobs that are balanced with expectations and aligned with advancement opportunities.
Six warning signs that your jobs need a redesign
- Particular jobs have greater than expected turnover, frequent absenteeism, and missed deadlines.
- Job duties seem out of balance—some individuals are overloaded while others are underloaded.
- Job roles have grown over time to include responsibilities not in the job descriptions.
- Task overlap between jobs causes confusion and lack of clear accountability.
- A job is limited to repetitive tasks with limited opportunities for personal and professional growth.
- A job is performed in isolation where workers cannot perceive or celebrate the value of their contribution.
Read Building a Case for Reorganization to learn how Optia helped a multinational telecommunications conglomerate with a job design framework.