Building a Case for Reorganization
The Human Resources organization at a multinational telecommunications conglomerate needed a solution to assess current-state and future-state task allocation, roles, and capacity among 13 teams to support a series of big bets.
As part of an initiative to attract and retain top talent, the Human Resources organization at a multinational telecommunications conglomerate planned to add new benefit programs and streamline employee services through a series of big bets. They needed a way to evaluate job roles and realign work among 13 cross-functional teams if they were going to have the capacity to support their initiative. Optia Group was asked to provide a framework for evaluating and quantifying the organization’s capacity while making a case for job realignment if needed.
The Optia Team facilitated a two-step approach that involved analyzing current-state and proposing future-state task allocation, roles, and capacity. After a series of working sessions to gather data, Optia was able to present the leadership team with key insights that helped make a case for reorganization. Insights that were shared with the leadership team include:
- The number and category of tasks required to complete a unit of work
- Tasks that were conflicting, redundant, or assigned to the wrong role
- Tasks that were “business as usual” versus “big bet”
- Tasks that were shared or had dependencies on other tasks
- Identification of individuals, vendors, and consultants responsible for performing each task
- The number of weekly, monthly, and annualized hours spent on each task
Using the framework that Optia provided for analyzing current-state task allocation, roles, and capacity, the leadership team was able to make decisions and develop a proposal for reorganization. Specifically, they were able to:
- Re-align tasks that were assigned to the wrong role or that would be a better fit for another role
- Eliminate redundant tasks
- Identify tasks and roles that should move in from or out to another team
- Clarify tasks and roles that would stay within each team
- Calculate team capacity and resource allocation before and after big bet projects are initiated